Analyzing the Data for Buying and Selling a Home

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnxam5Z3TeE

Bill Raveis shares important information for buyers and sellers on how to evaluate facts and figures to assist with the home buying and selling process.

He summarizes key data points for both buyers and sellers.

14 thoughts on “Analyzing the Data for Buying and Selling a Home

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Analyzing the Data for Buying and Selling a Home | William Raveis Real Estate, Mortgage, and Insurance Blog -- Topsy.com

2. Bonnie Covey

This is extremely valuable information for buyers, sellers and agents.
    I would love to see this video closed captioned. I am hearing impaired and find it hard to understand.

1. William Raveis Headquarters

Thank you for reading our blog. This is a very good suggestion and we have added captions to the video. To turn on the captions click on the up arrow below the video on the right hand side. Click on the middle box to turn captions on or off…

3. Stephen

This sites are only good if the information provided is true and accurate. Let’s see…overpay for a house by 50k to save 8k ??? Whose winning on that trade ?

4. Stephen

Let me put it to you this way. If you look at a house in 2000 as the baseline and let’s say you could have bought it for 250k then. By 2005 when we were extending credit to anyone with a pulse that same house was trading at 650k or up 160% in 5yrs. Well in the investment world 7% return is a great return over time for any product. So here we are 2009 and people say home prices are cheap…I say not even close. 9 years at 7% return not adjusted for inflation would put the cost of that home at roughly 410 to 425k. Now that house that went up 675k should have in theory only gone up to 335k under a normal case scenario by 2005. Most of the housing market depending on where you live in this country has only come down about 20% so the seller thinks he’s asking price of 575k is more than fair. Well fair in whose eyes ? In theory if the house should trade at 425k max. now then paying 575k is overpaying 150k or 35% higher than you should. All you are doing is monetizing the “excess profit” the seller thinks he/she is entitled to. Why are you helping out them but overpaying ? I am a professional bond trader with 25 years of trading experience. I do not work for Wall St. anymore b/c I was tired of the lying and cheating that took place. I trade my own capital and base all of my trading decisions on my own analysis…not what is beign told to me on CNBC. Just because someone tells you things are fine doesn’t mean that at all. Bad information can be worse than having no information especially when it comes to making a committment of capital like a house. Remember one thing…a house is only worth what you are willing to pay for it…not what the seller thinks its worth. Do your own homework and then make a decisoin. Hope is not a strategy people. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/6599281/Societe-Generale-tells-clients-how-to-prepare-for-global-collapse.html

5. Gail Robinson

Bill, Thank you for sharing your rules of thumb. Your experience is invaluable. Also, I’m not hearing impaired, but I turned on the captions the second time I viewed the video and found that I learned things that I had missed the first time around, so they are very useful.

6. Dick Porter

Bill;
    Thanks for the info. Except for a couple of wrinkles and a pair of glasses you have not changed since I last saw you—-in 1963!!!
    Dick–now in Edgewood, NM

7. Real Estate Vietnam

It’s great to see such topical stuff on the web as I have been able to discover here. Thanks for publishing such great and informative video and for investing the time to post it here, I am sure that it will help many.

Regards,