This post is a follow-up to last week’s “5 Tips for Selling this Spring.”
The spring market is in full-swing, which means good things for buyers and sellers alike. If you’re planning to buy this season, there are some tips you can utilize to make the most of your home buying process.
1. Understand Your Financial Profile. You don’t need to think about a mortgage until you find your dream home, right? Wrong. By speaking with an experienced executive mortgage banker when you first start your home search, you’ll have a better idea of how much home you can afford. Also, if you obtain a certified pre-approval from your mortgage banker, your paperwork will already be on file, making the closing process simpler.
2. Prioritize Your Needs and Wants. Before you start looking for a home this spring, you should decide what will be most important for your search. Do you have to have two bedrooms or is a certain school district non-negotiable? By prioritizing these in advance, you’ll avoid wasted time during your search.
3. Take Advantage of the Weather. It’s spring, which means most weekends have beautiful weather. Take advantage and go on a leisurely drive through neighborhoods you love and stop in at some open houses. These are a great, low pressure way to see homes you’re interested in and to get a better idea of those needs and wants (if you’re not already sure.)
4. Be Flexible. During the busy spring market sellers aren’t the only ones who face competition in the market. There may be another buyer who’s bidding on the same house as you. Think about ways to create incentives for the home seller—maybe giving them an extra day to move out, etc. Talk to your real estate agent about options for sweetening your deal.
5. Work With the Right Person. Speaking of talking to your real estate agent, this is one of the most important tips. Working with a great agent is one of the easiest ways to ensure a great home buying process. I’d highly suggest one of William Raveis’ agents, but I might be biased.