There are plenty of ways for you to keep cool this summer without having to pay the price of keeping your air conditioning on all the time. Most people think the only way to stay cool is to keep the AC on blast, which also runs up your bills for the month, but this is not the case. Here are a few easy steps to
- Keep the blinds closed. This step may sound like it wouldn’t help, but it certainly does. It keeps the heat and light out, which helps keep your home cooler. By doing this easy step it keeps about 30% of unwanted heat from coming into your house. This step could easily keep your house 20 degrees cooler (believe it or not)!
- Close off unused rooms. Closing the door to an unused room can keep your house cooler just by not wasting the cool air during the hottest part of the day.
- Swap out your sheets. Make sure you have a lighter sheet on your bed. Switch out the flannel sheets and fleece blankets for some much cooler sleeping wear. Cotton or linen are both excellent choices for the summer heat.
- Set your ceiling fans to rotate counter-clockwise. This allows the airflow to create a wind-chilled breeze effect; this will make you feel a lot cooler, just by switching the direction of the air.
- Drink something cold & refreshing. Having something cold to drink is important because it’s so easy to become dehydrated during the warm, humid summer months. Whatever it may be, it’s important to always have something cold to drink on a hot summer day.
- Open your bedroom windows at night. By letting in the cool summer air at night, this will cool your home down tremendously. Depending on where you live, nighttime is much cooler and this can help get rid of that hot air during sleeping hours.
- Turn off all the lights, especially incandescent ones. Light is a conductor of heat, so you want to turn off the incandescent lighting (they can actually make you feel hotter than you really are.) They can waste up to 90% of their energy in the heat, therefore getting rid of them can be a small step in the right direction.
- Start grilling outside instead of using the oven: Cooking your dinner outside can be detrimental to keeping your house cool this summer. The heat from the oven can make your kitchen unbearable. So, prepare your meal and get the grill fired up, you certainly won’t regret cooking outside this summer.
There are plenty of ways to keep you and your house cool. Follow these eight easy steps and you will be on your way to a cooler summer for you and your family.