The prevalence of summer vacations and weekend road trips, combined with our propensity to share our whereabouts online, means that home safety has become an increasingly important topic.
Luckily, you don’t have to bar your doors and windows and never leave your home to keep it safe. There are plenty of practical and effective steps you can take to maintain the safety of your home while you’re away.
- Install an alarm system. This is probably the most straightforward option. While the “alarm” part of the alarm system is a nice component, the single greatest use of this tactic is the deterrent of having a system at all. Many thieves will move onto another home if they know yours is protected.
- Add motion sensor/timed lights. Again, this option works as a great deterrent. Motion sensor lights outside will help keep the perimeter of your property free from lurkers. Meanwhile, timed lights inside, in windows that face the street, can help provide the illusion of someone being home.
- Get to know your neighbors. This age-old, but still tried-and-true, method of home protection is simple. If you’re friendly with your neighbors, it becomes much more likely that they’ll keep an eye on your house when you’re out of town. This could also lead to a neighborhood crime watch, helping to provide everyone with peace of mind.
- Don’t share your every movement online. While it can be tempting to share a photo of yourself in an airport to tell everyone about your looming trip on Facebook or Instagram, you could be providing a potential bugler with a lead. With so much personal information online, limit sharing information that could let someone know you’ll be gone for an extended period.
- Go, go gadget home! Newer technologies have allowed for high-tech additions to every aspect of home security. From video and voice-enabled door bells, to motion-activated video cameras, with the right equipment you can monitor the status of every inch of your property from a smartphone. If you’re truly concerned about the safety of your belongings while you’re gone, this type of outfit could put your mind at ease.
What are your tips for keeping your home safe while away?